This meeting was focused on how to improve the way we are working and to encourage better turn out and regularity of meetings and events. We had some great ideas for events, actions, and future meetings. Minutes are available through the Google Group.
Minutes from the April 2nd meeting and an update on immigration policy is available on the Google Group page here. Thanks to everyone who attended and to each of the issue leaders for providing updates on relevant legislation.
Thanks to Celia and Robin for organizing a great presentation and discussion on environmental issues, and to Sandra for hosting. Meeting minutes are available here.
Thanks to Virgil and Maggie for presenting on immigration policy and to Virgil and Pornpat for hosting. Meeting minutes and the presentation are available here.
Minutes from the NYCIA Council meeting on the Affordable Care Act are available here.
Meeting minutes are available here.
The crux of what we decided in this meeting is that The NYCIA Council should be a resource for it’s members as well as an organization tool.
- PDF series explaining governmental structures. For example: A one page document explaining the IDC and the role it plays in the NYS Senate.
- We will start to have issue specific meetings. Meeting leaders will lead a discussion about the status of that movement. The effects that the administration has had, the actions that are upcoming and any other information pertinent to said issue.
- We will have a monthly or bi-monhtly civics meeting as a way to help members understand the ways in which a government is working for or against us, and the role that we as individuals and groups can play.
- We will continue to participate in protests and actions. For now connecting to other groups actions through the Indivisible Site.
At the meeting we discussed the groups digital presence and this is what was decided:
- We will continue to use Google Groups for communication. Daniel will continue to manage invites and membership. Jake will manage tagging of discussions.
- We will create a website that will be used to store resources: links to helpful websites and documents created by the group.
- We will create a Facebook group for the purpose of connecting socially and keeping up with each other. I encourage everyone to friend each other on facebook and share each others ideas.
We also discussed digital security. Moving forward new members will not be granted access to the google group until they attend a meeting. I will personally keep track of potential new members status.