Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is running against Joe Crowley in the Democratic Primary for the NY-14 Congressional seat. She will be running with Justice Democrats and Brand New Congress. At a recent get-together at Daniel and Alisha’s house, we were all very inspired by her and excited to support her campaign. Learn more about her progressive platform at ocasio2018.com.
If you are interested in volunteering to phone bank for her, Justice Democrats is running a nationwide phone banking session for all of their candidates this week. You can call from home (instructions here) any time or join Daniel and Alisha at their home on Saturday from 12:00 – 2:00 pm.
Thanks to Miriam for sharing this leaflet about the Graham-Cassidy bill, which would cause millions of Americans to lose healthcare coverage. Please print and share!
RSVP required: email@example.com or (212) 748-0281
Thank you so much to everyone who attended last week’s meeting with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. For those of you who couldn’t attend, I recommend reading the minutes (available here) to see what was discussed. You can also check out the Justice Democrats and Brand New Congress websites because what they are doing across the country is great.
If you have not been following, the Senate health care bill is TERRIBLE. It cuts Medicaid even more than the House bill, though on a longer time frame. It also goes even further than the House bill in allowing states to gut ACA protections and allowing insurers to define what services would and wouldn’t be covered in any given policy. The Senate bill claims not to allow states to waive protections for people with pre-existing conditions, but because various treatments (chemotherapy, maternity care) are not mandated to be part of coverage for everyone, they will be extremely expensive for people who need to buy them a la carte. And many think the bill will create a “death spiral” in the individual insurance market.
Schumer says that pressure from constituents is key, so please consider taking 30 minutes or more to make calls to constituents of Republicans in key states. What you can do:
- Get informed about the bill.
- Quick overview from Slate
- Detailed reporting from Vox
- Register for phone banking to Republican states!
- ACA DEFENDERS, based in MA, a collaboration of Health Care for All Massachusetts and SEIU 99. This uses the automated HubDialer and you can put the constituent through directly to their Senator. In the battle against the ACA, they have called voters in several states, depending on their legislators’ position in real time. If you sign up you will get the full emails with instructions day by day as the targets change. Sign up here
- SPREAD THE WORD!
- Think of 3 people you know in red states, or 3 people you know who know people in red states. Share this great state-by-state resource from Indivisible
Republicans are using a special process called “reconciliation” to jam through TrumpCare. This means they only need 50 votes, instead of the usual 60, to pass it. But the trade-off is that they have to allow an unlimited number of amendments. Any Senator can file as many amendments as they want and then call them up for a vote on the Senate floor during a period called “vote-a-rama.” Democratic Senators can and should plan thousands of amendments and keep them going until Republicans agree to have public hearings on the bill.
By introducing tens of thousands of amendments, Democrats can slow down the process enough to draw necessary attention to Senate Republicans’ secret process and the disastrous impacts of their TrumpCare bill.